- Since nurse practitioners practice in rural locations, they’re often more in tune with patients’ needs and are able to understand you better.
- They know your medical history and are able to treat you accordingly.
- It’s easier to fix an appointment with a nurse practitioner because most people prefer to see the doctor even though they have to wait days for the appointment. This is not because NPs are less efficient or capable; it’s a consequence of the misconception that only doctors can treat you efficiently and effectively.
- Nurse practitioners spend more time with you because their schedules are not as full as the doctor’s.
- When it comes to providing primary care, nurse practitioners are more efficient in treating chronic illnesses like diabetes and asthma because they’re able to spend time with you in explaining how to manage and control these diseases. They also schedule follow-up visits to monitor your condition and progress.
- Nurse practitioners help you in making lifestyle and health decisions that change your life for the better.
- Your overall healthcare costs are reduced because people who consult NPs are known to have fewer emergency room visits, shorter hospital stays and lower treatment costs.
When it comes to choosing the right nurse practitioner for your needs, here’s what you need to do:
- Check your locality for nurse practitioners. You could use sites like NP Finder or go through your local directory listing.
- Call to see what field of medicine they specialize in and if it matches your need.
- Fix an appointment with the NP
- If your visit goes well and you’re satisfied, then schedule a follow-up visit.
- If you’re not satisfied of if the NP’s specialty does not provide for taking care of your illness, ask the NP to recommend other nurse practitioners in the area.
This guest post is contributed by Maryanne Osberg, who writes on the topic of RN to MSN Online Degrees. She can be reached at mary.anne579(AT)gmail(DOT)com.